Dwight Freeney admits that he is disappointed the Colts did not extend a new contract offer to him. The seven time pro-bowl defensive end said he was surprised to learn last week that he would become a free agent on March 12th.
“I’ll be honest with you, I was surprised the way it happened,” Freeney said in a telephone interview today with the Indianapolis Star. “I figured they would offer me something low and I would just accept it, go the last few years and retire a Colt and that would be it. “That didn’t happen.”
Freeney then went on to say, “I won’t say there’s bitterness because I understand the business side of it. Jim took a chance on me and I have to be grateful for that. I’ve had a long career in Indy, longer than most people in one place.”
Dwight, who turned 33 on Tuesday, insists he still has a lot left in the tank even though he is coming off of one of his least productive seasons. “I’m still running to the ball very quickly and I still have my explosion.
“I feel good right now. I’m excited to bring my talents to whoever would love to have me. I’m worried about getting to the right organization, a winning organization.”
I am sure there are no shortage of teams vying for Freeney’s services. In his 11 years in the NFL, he has compiled a club-record 107 1/2 sacks. That is tied for 21st in NFL history and if No. 5 among active players. I don’t know one quarterback in the league that doesn’t have a ton or respect for what Freeney is capable of. He and that signature “spin move” are a force to be reckoned with. It will be interesting to find out where he lands next season. Ladies, if you’re reading, this last pic is for you. Fine ain’t he?? Ok, ok…I’m done. 😉